Monday, March 09, 2009

More belated Friday five(s).

Five things that seemed like a good idea at the time, in no particular order...

  • Catching up on the last few episodes of Lost (where they go back to the island) right before I personally head onto an international flight across a large body of water.
  • The Live Broadway channel on Continental. (Had high hopes. Turned out to be lots o'crap - Taylor Swift doing a remake of a Wicked song? holy crap they really did make Legally Blonde the Musical - and it's terrible? etc. But then to my shock, they played an Avenue Q song! And some of the oldie musicals were fun to hear.)
  • Bringing the one book that I haven't been able to get past chapter 4 with, despite several attempts, figuring that being stuck for days at a time would force me to read it. The first night I had a repeat occurrence of the nightmare so I packed it away for good and resigned myself to boredom (if howler monkeys, cool birds, geckos, iguanas and poison dart frogs can be considered "boredom"). The next day, a rainy day, I ran across the second book in the Twilight series in the lodge's lobby. Without having read the first, I dove right in and it was all downhill from there. Got halfway through before leaving, found the first book at the next lodge and as soon as I finished that, the second magically appeared and I finished that one too. And I'm selling that stupid non-readable book back to Powell's immediately. (Possibly trading it in for the third and fourth in the Twilight series. But that's just between you and me.)
  • Giving up my iPod for Lent even though those 960 hours included two eight-hour flights. DUMB DUMB DUMB.
  • Skipping the tetanus shot renewal until my next physical. I went seven days with no worries, but on the last small plane ride back to San Jose I sliced my palm on a random piece of rusty metal when the seat belt wouldn't fasten before take-off. It's been 18 hours, I'm still alive and my hand hasn't turned yellow, the wound seems to have healed, but still... I watch House. I know these things happen. (As with potential malaria, for which I took no pills and sprayed no DEET before heading into the swamp for my hike and getting eaten alive, please just get me out of work for a few weeks but don't kill me, okay?)

1 comment:

  1. Oooh...I'm glad you're enjoying the Twilight series. I was actually going to recommend you read that on your trip (but was afraid you'd laugh...and laugh...). It's pure escapism, and I quite enjoyed all the books (as well as the unfinished draft of Midnight Sun). :)

    ReplyDelete