Monday, January 12, 2009

"No more Tabby Paw Pie for me before bedtime!"

Last night I watched the first four episodes of Dexter, season one. If you're not familiar with it, Dexter is a closet serial killer of serial killers. A Robin Hood of serial killers, you might say.

It took me a few tries over several days to get past the first episode, mainly because the pace is much slower than a normal cop show (or a show set in Miami for that matter) and I would always turn it on when I was really tired. Last night I got bored with the Golden Globes so I decided to give it one last go.

Turns out being wide awake really helps you appreciate this show. It's dark of course, but subtle in some ways, and very cleverly written, and the actors are all amazing. I'm looking forward to where this story goes.

The last episode on the disc finished at 12:30am and I still wasn't really tired, so I read a little bit of Darkness Visible, which just happened to be sitting on my nightstand. In the first three chapters there's basically a mini-apocalypse, references to pedophilia, and one of the schoolchildren ends up dead (cause TBD - I put it down at that point and went to sleep).

I had numerous nightmares last night. Think: American Psycho + Sin City + Holocaust + ... I don't even know what. (There were fire-breathing dragons too, at one point.) They were the kind of nightmares that made me terrified to think how my brain could come up with that stuff. I kept waking up in a panic.

I think I'll save the next Dexter disc and the rest of that book for a sunny Saturday afternoon. Followed immediately by hugs and puppies. Lots of hugs and puppies. And a Tylenol PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment