Sunday, January 04, 2009

Infotainment and so on.

With all the raving about Wendy and Lucy, I thought I would like it more than I did. It did have a John Steinbeck feel to it, it was shot entirely in Portland (so there was a lot of I know that street! I know that Walgreens! etc. going on), and Williams was spectacular and believable. She lived on pennies because she had to, not because she wanted to (like Mr. McCandless). I liked that we never learned what she was running from or to - 2009 is going to be all about living in the present for me, so this snippet of her life was all I needed. So I'm not sure why, because it should have, but it just didn't blow me away. Maybe it had something to do with all the senior citizens whispering exclamations to each other throughout the entire film. Note to self: splurge on evening movies once in a while.

Apropos of neither the recession nor dogs, with all the raving about the new Kings of Leon album, I thought I would like it more than I did. It's listenable, it's growing on me, but... Meh. Okkervil River, on the other hand, gets two thumbs way up. (I opted for a used copy of an old album - which is allegedly a precursor story to their 2008 album - to introduce myself to them. Excellent investment of my $7.) And the Helio Sequence's latest is also a winner.

But really, I just can't stop listening to this Old Canes album.

And also, I can't stop thinking that Her Maj actually enjoys going to the vet. Because she hasn't eaten all day, and last week she lost another half pound (which is the equivalent of me losing 7lbs in a week) so we are probably headed back there tomorrow. I am so going to rent her out as a lap kitty to those senior citizens in the theater today to pay for all these bills... Maybe then they will stay out of the theaters and let me enjoy the movie.

And the optimism about 2009 starts... NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment