Thursday, November 13, 2008

Should've just read the short story.

I had high hopes for Wristcutters: A Love Story. Tom Waits, Will Arnett, that kid from Almost Famous, a take on suicide that we haven't seen before...

Alas. The in-between was interesting enough, but the cliche ending ruined the whole thing. Apparently, Desiree's character wasn't in the original short story so I'm curious how that turned out...

Not curious enough to spend any more time on this, though. I've got NaNoReMo to get through! And The Fountainhead is turning out to be a great read. Unlike other acclaimed novels, there aren't an exacerbating number of characters I can't keep up with. Howard Roark continues to grow on me, and this Dominique gal is a pistol too.

Interesting excerpts:

"Do you ever look at the people on the street? Aren't you afraid of them? I am. They move past you and they wear hats and they carry bundles. But that's not the substance of them. The substance of them is hatred for any man who loves his work. That's the only kind they fear. I don't know why." - Henry Cameron to Howard Roark

"... he's always told me marriage is old-fashioned, an economic device to perpetuate the institution of private property, or something like that..." - Catherine Halsey on her uncle's thoughts on marriage, to Peter Keating

Interesting in light of recent CA events... Can't say I disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment