Thursday, November 20, 2008

"I put on some make-up, turn up the eight track..."

I finally watched Hedwig and the Angry Inch last night. I expected a funny musical about an angry German transvestite. It was that, which would've been enough, but it was also so much more than that. It was a commentary on equality, it was a pop culture satire, and it was - GASP! - a love story.

Yes, I am actually recommending a love story. Pick your jaw up off the floor.

Seriously, I must insist that you rent this immediately. Very well done, very moving, very catchy and very fantastic wigs.

In unrelated-but-not-really news, Monday night's Larry King Live featured the pregnant man and his wife, who've recently written a book about their experience. The couple were lovely, despite King's repeated insistence that they weren't right, they weren't natural, they weren't "normal." He asked the wife if she regretted not finding her prince. The husband replied, "She did." King asked how they had sex. (HE ASKED HOW THEY HAD SEX. Jesus H. Christ.) They both replied, "The normal way." King asked why they didn't just adopt. The wife replied, "Would you ask that of a heterosexual couple? Why are you asking us that?"

Then came the callers. Oh dear god, the callers.

I can only imagine that this entire show was intended to enrage the lefties. I know I was yelling at the TV at the gym Monday night.

Dear Larry King, just retire already. Please? Thanks. Signed, Sick of Your Inane and Insulting Interview Tactics in Portland, OR

5 comments:

  1. I love rock operas!

    And I second your call for LK to step aside. Used to enjoy his interviews...until he went Geraldo on us for the ratings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's worth it if only for "Origin of Love", which the songwriter admitted was inspired by a philosophical Greek debate.

    Too awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the bonus features got into that, and in general about how the whole rock opera came to be. All that was very interesting but I found it most interesting that the writer/director and the musical composer met randomly on a plane.

    I need to start paying more attention to the people I sit next to on airplanes. (Or, I need to stop sitting next to old people on airplanes. No offense, old people. But, you know. Unless you want to make a musical rock opera with me, or adopt me so I can do arts & crafts with you all day, I don't really want to chit-chat.)

    ReplyDelete