Sunday, November 30, 2008

Delayed reflection.

I was going to make Christmas cards today. I know, I know, I just ranted about it not even being December yesterday. But making cards is an endeavor of time and trial/error, so it's best that I start early.

However. Every year I buy holiday cards after the new year because they're up to 75% off and I always manage to find funny or charming ones among the crappy leftover selection. Recently I've done this as backup in case I was too busy for, or lost interest in, the handmade card concept. Of course, by the time I pull them out the following holiday season I don't like the cards anymore. (So if you don't get a handmade card this year, I'm sorry about the card you do get.)

Last Thursday morning I dove into the closet I haven't really looked in since May (when I shoved everything I didn't know what to do with, into that closet) and found a bunch of Christmas stuff including... six half-empty boxes of holiday cards. SIGH.

Being the frugal, environmentally-conscious person that I am, I have to use these cards up before I let myself kill more trees in honor of the holiday season. (Well, technically, the trees are already dead and I have the cardstock in my possession. But I digress.)

There is a point to this story.

I started writing out cards. I'm sure it will shock and awe that I'm the type who can't just sign my name - there must be some sort of personal note in each card, which basically means this task is a royal pain in the ass (and wrist!) every year. As I was writing I was amazed to recall all the losses from this year. Good friends and extended family had a rough 2008. Crafting personal notes for certain cards was incredibly challenging - how does one wish someone a happy holiday season when they've just lost their wife of 45 years, or both grandpas, or a life too young to lose?

And then I started thinking how lucky I am that my immediate family is relatively healthy and happy. I didn't get that dreaded call this year. I didn't have to fly home and accept condolences and eat too much casserole and drink too much scotch. One year the call will come, and I'll deal with it. And then it shall pass and others will wonder what to write in my holiday card.

For now I went with something like "this season may you find peace in memories of holidays past... thinking of you." I guess that will suffice.

Call your loved ones. As a friend's FB status said, "Thanksgiving, after all, is a word of action."

No comments:

Post a Comment