Sunday, November 23, 2008

NaNoReMo update.

"He liked this book. It had made the routine of his Sunday morning breakfast a profound spiritual experience; he was certain that it was profound, because he didn't understand it."

I'm on page 443 of 753 of The Fountainhead (59% complete - but only a week to go! gaaaa). That's a good quote to describe my feelings about it. I haven't read any of the summaries or analyses yet - I wanted to see if I could figure out, on my own, what my high school English teacher would've chosen as the essay topic. The problem is that I read it in bits and pieces, 15 minutes on the bus, 20 minutes at lunch, so it's hard for me to pinpoint the underlying themes. (Other than, capitalism BAD.) I need to just sit down and plow through the rest of it and I'm sure everything will become evident.

Otherwise, I no longer think Howard Roarke is an ass. In fact, I admire him quite a bit. But Dominique is still pathetic and a bit too drama-queeny for my taste, especially after this move she just pulled. Peter Keating is still an arrogant fool. And all the old codgers can call it a life as far as I'm concerned.

Interesting quotes:

"We'd all be a heap sight better off if we'd forget the highfalutin notions of our fancy civilization and mind more what the savages knew long before us: to honor our mother."
- excerpt from Alvah Scarret's newspaper column

"The shortest distance between two points is not a straight line - it's a middleman. And the more middlemen, the shorter. Such is the psychology of a pretzel."
- Kent Lansing to Howard Roarke when discussing who would pitch Roarke as the architect for the Aquitania

"'If you make people perform a noble duty, it bores them,' said Wynand. 'If you make them indulge themselves, it shames them. But combine the two - and you've got them.'"
- Gail Wynand justifying the contents of his newspaper

Onward and upward...

No comments:

Post a Comment