Monday, October 22, 2007

More proof that Joss Whedon is my master now.

Years ago, I was at craft night with some friends. It was Tuesday night so Buffy was on in the background, and it was The Wish episode. Two of my friends loved Buffy (along with myself), but the third friend thought we were nuts for being crazy about a show involving an ass-kicking vampire slayer and her band of merry misfits. The third friend shook her head through the whole episode.

Today I got an email from the third friend entitled: "could Buffy the Vampire be based on reality?" with a link to this study.

Well, first of all, OF COURSE it's based on reality. Vampires, witches, demons, and magic all exist in our universe - maybe not in the traditional sense of the words, but who among us hasn't faced someone who sucked the life out of them, cursed or haunted them in some way? Who hasn't made a wish, crossed their fingers or threw salt over their shoulder, and had the wish come true?

And secondly, what a trippy study. It's like "choose your own adventure" stories just came to life. I like to think about my parallel universe doppleganger who is thrilled with her job and totally content with life. I just wish I could visit her from time to time for some advice!

________________
I do have to admit that while I don't think there are vampires in Santa Cruz who look like Keifer Sutherland or James Marsters (or "dampires" in Sunnyvale, either, though the concept amuses me greatly), I don't completely dismiss the occult. I think there's a lot that I don't understand about it, and I think that as with most things there are some extremists, but I do think there is some merit to certain aspects of it. And the respect for Mother Nature most certainly appeals to me.

Oh and also, the Parkway isn't going to be able to show old episodes of Buffy or Firefly for much longer, so boycott those money-grubbing fun-stealing bastards at FOX however you see fit. They aren't currently syndicating either show so I'm not sure what they're complaining about, exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment