Saturday, October 21, 2006

What not to wear.

Next Saturday I am going to an event for which the invitation said "black tie optional." None of my wardrobe that might possibly, remotely, poorly qualify for such an event fits anymore. Allllright, shopping time!

I haven't shopped for a formal dress since I (ill-advisedly) went to a fraternity formal with a friend in college. Today it was actually kinda fun. I allotted myself $150 since I recently came into an unexpected $100, and $50 is what I would normally allot myself for such an occasion. I branched out and tried a bunch of different colors instead of my usual black tendencies. I learned that people can make clothes out of polyester and charge a RIDONCULOUS amount of money for them. I buy my polyester at Ross, thank you very much.

I went into stores I normally walk right past (Bebe, White House Black Market, Macy's, Nordstrom) and tried on dresses that cost up to $300. I've never worn a $300... anything... before. I felt very elegant in that (non-polyester) dress. And it looked really good. If only it were 50% off.

And while I didn't end up buying anything, of all the ones I tried on I really liked this dress. It's very me. And Stacy and Clinton would be so happy with how it fit - hell, I was happy with how it fit. And I already have the shoes and purse and wrap and all that girlie crap.

It would mean salads and no cheese all week to make sure it fits by Saturday, but I think I might have to take the plunge. And pray to Christ Almighty that I don't spill red wine on it during the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment