Saturday, June 20, 2009

One new recipe a week - mostly.

Week 1: Aforementioned gluten-free, egg-free brownies. When chilled, they were actually pretty good.

Week 2: Umm... I did cook up the most beautiful hard-boiled eggs thanks to a farm-fresh dozen and Julia Child's "recipe"... That counts, right?

Week 3: Umm...

Week 4: Spinach, Tofu and Sesame Stir-Fry from the New York Times. I had most of the ingredients already, and it was simple and pretty healthy. I upped the amount of red chili flakes and ginger, and added mushrooms (because I had some to use up) and water chestnuts (because I {heart} water chestnuts). I also halved the spinach because I needed the other 3 oz to add to beets and some amazing sheep's milk cheese with rosemary for dinner that week. Added to some brown rice, it was hearty, pleasantly spicy and delicious. Also this week, cocoa oatmeal raisin cookies and peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. I took about two dozen of each to work. All were gone in 60 seconds.

Week 5: Umm... more hard-boiled eggs (why is this so hard?).

Week 6: Enough with the ummms already! This week I purposely bought things I really like but rarely cook with (kale and fennel), to encourage this goal. Saturday night I eeked in this easy rosemary kale with black-eyed peas. I embellished with a little tofu and it made 2 lunches for the following week. It was tasty enough, and quite pretty...

... though I wish I'd added couscous or some other grain to turn it into three lunches.

Week 7: For the fennel, I found this ridonkulously simple soup. It seemed too easy to be true. Sunday night I whipped up a batch for one including a small potato. It was okay, but I think it would've been better without the potato.

Week 8: Get your fiddleheads before they turn toxic... I found it hard to believe that Emeril could create such a simple recipe, but this was quite tasty. I skipped the "essence" ingredients and other than needing garlic it was fine. I also skipped the truffle oil, which the recipe called for but which I just don't have lying around.

Week 9: I bought rainbow chard from the farmer's market. I'd never cooked chard before - always opted for kale. But I blanched it and threw it in with some couscous, sweet corn and red pepper flakes, and it was good. (Improv recipes count, right?)

Week 10: (Is it July yet?!) OK, this week I tried these two asparagus recipes from Sunset. I preferred the orzo recipe... and I also prefer what beets do to your pee.

Week 11: I tried this Mediterranean wrap recipe and this green bean pasta recipe this week. Both were very tasty. I kept the wrap fixings in separate containers (onions in one, cucumber/carrot/pea mixture in another, yogurt mixture in a third) and they lasted a full week in my refrigerator so I didn't have to eat the same thing three days in a row (and everything didn't taste like onion when I did eat it). The wrap filling would be great on its own, mixed together as a summer salad. Also made some everything-free cornbread for a dairy-intolerant friend's birthday... I added a diced jalapeno and 1 tsp cayenne, since my favorite cornbread recipe includes these. It didn't look that appealing but it was actually quite tasty.

Week 12: This week I am most definitely making these strawberry shortcake cookies. And maybe this chard lasagna, or a black bean salad, or maybe these cornmeal ricotta blobs for book club.

I'm a little sad that "simple" seems to be the theme with all these non-baked-goods recipes, but when I get home from work the last thing I want to do is stand around in the kitchen. And on weekends, the last thing I want to do is stand around in the kitchen.

That said, I've had fun with this and I think I'll keep it up.

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever taken a look at 101 Cookbooks? She's a fairly prominent vegetarian food blogger with lots of good stuff. She also published a cookbook, "Super Natural Cooking" about a year or so ago that's supposed to be pretty good.

    ReplyDelete