Monday, February 16, 2009

"I don't drop character 'till I done the DVD commentary."

The Reader: During the first 20 minutes or so, I kept thinking, errrr, isn't this a Holocaust movie? And then it was. The end was lame but Kate Winslet deserves every award and David Kross was robbed. And you should see this movie.

Revolutionary Road: I have a sneaking suspicion that the reason I am so moved by Sam Mendes films is because I expect to end up "that way" at some point in my life. It makes me wonder how his marriage to Kate is working out. Maybe he gets all his issues out on film and he and Kate are a great couple. Anyway, as with American Beauty, I walked out not understanding all the hype but incredibly depressed. With AB, the depression lasted a week. With RR, it went away the next day but I reflected upon the film and the characters for at least a week. Leo and Kate were incredible and the supporting actor nominee was both hilarious and terrifying. Things We Lost In the Fire suddenly makes sense and I need to rent Jarhead and Road to Perdition immediately.

Frozen River: I watched about 20 minutes and turned it off. I'm sure it's a great movie. I'm sure. You just really have to be in the mood for a story about a poor woman who resorts to trafficking drugs across an ice patch that might collapse at any moment to support her family when there's no other hope. (Maybe it will be an inspiration to publicity whore Crazy Baby Lady and then The Man will catch her and take away her 186 kids and she will get what she deserves - absolutely nothing? Hey, a girl can dream.)

The Visitor: Was this nominated for a Golden Globe? Why was it in my queue? Maybe because Patricia Clarkson was somehow mysteriously involved? Regardless, I'm glad it was, because it was actually a fascinating movie. Great to see Dead Guy from Six Feet Under in a more meaningful, heavier-than-being-dead role. I enjoyed this one a lot although again, the ending was lame.

Tropic Thunder: About 30 minutes into this, I was mad that I was watching it. And then something clicked and it was the best comedy I've seen in a long, long time. The premise was absurd, the characters were absurd and the fact that this was nominated for anything Oscar-related was absurd. Great movie.

Doubt: Did I not post a review of this? OK... Meryl, you're awesome. We all know this. Give someone else a chance at the purty statue (ahem, Anne Hathaway, ahem). Otherwise, I wasn't blown away by the story. Maybe because we read about this sort of thing every other day? And really - someone who has approximately 5 minutes of face time in the movie gets a supporting actress nod? How is that possible?

In Bruges: Is In My Netflix Pile. Not sure I will get to it or through it by Sunday though. Colin Ferrell bugs me. I'll try to be a trooper in honor of the big day.

Vicky Christina Barcelona: Is not in my Netflix pile because apparently everyone and their mother has it queued to watch before the big day. (Oh and I put off watching it because I can't stand Scarlett, though Javier intrigues me.) I'm curious about this one, lots of people I know liked it but Woody hasn't impressed me in many, many years. So we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment