Sunday, February 01, 2009

On the other hand...

... my father has a knack for pointing out things I already know, not in a patronizing way, but in a way that helps. I was talking to him this afternoon and he asked about Her Majesty. I got kind of upset when describing the latest dramas (not eating since Friday even with shots yesterday that have always helped, the everyday pill debacle, the upcoming week in Costa Rica and leaving her with a stranger, etc.).

He reminded me that she was just like a kid. He reminded me that she's already stressed out about this, and me being stressed out is just stressing her out even more. He reminded me to take care of myself during all this.

I have known all of this in the back of my head but haven't been able to work it out.

So I took a breath, went to the gym for an hour and a half for the first time in weeks, came home, shoved some food down her throat with no apologies and no coddling, and went about my business. Ten minutes later she was at the food dish eating of her own accord. Just a little bit, but it was a huge step.

So the uber cliche wrap-up to this post... Sometimes father really does know best.

Just not when it comes to computers. Sorry in advance, technical support in India.

No comments:

Post a Comment