Friday, March 21, 2008

"What if you were offered some kind of a stock option equity sharing program. Would that do anything for you?"

I have my first Portland job interview today. It's a phone interview, obviously, and I'm hoping that the vet was right this morning and that Her Majesty will get sleepy from the vaccinations pretty soon instead of doing her usual conference call thing (sitting at my feet meowing while the people on the phone laugh, then sigh, then "JEEZ!" over the course of the call).

The interview is with my former company, for a job I know I could do and probably wouldn't mind doing for a little while. I'm not getting my hopes up, especially because I could NOT do the job and NOT mind NOT doing the job, and also I think their hiring time frame is not going to work with my current plans.

The main question I have for her is whether I'd still be within the time frame to start accruing vacation days at 7 weeks/year (which is what I had when I left).

I suppose I ought to think of some other, more thoughtful questions...

2 comments:

  1. This comment brought a smile because I took the headline real serious at first before I realized where it was from. "Oh totally, go for equity. Wait, how fast is that company growing again ..."

    I actually asked about equity before starting my new job. I guess I'm just reallllly corporate...

    In all seriousness, one approach that often works is to generalize, so if you are nervous about asking specifically about vacation you should throw something general out like "What can you tell me about how my prior experience with the company will carry over to a new job? Would I get credit for my past years?"

    If they ask for more specific question you could say "For example, would my benefits be at the same level?"

    But honestly everyone probably understands about wanting to keep your vacation level, and if they don't fuck them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - I went with the direct question ("oh, you know I do have a slightly random question, not sure if you know the answer but...") followed by, "I mean, just coming back to [the company] would be great, but keeping the vacation accrual would be a nice bonus" and she got it. I did ask that question last instead of first, so I suppose that was good too. :)

    ReplyDelete