Monday, December 03, 2007

I think other people call them "damn I'm old" moments, but whatever.

I'm watching the Charlie Brown Christmas special extravaganza on ABC (or is it CBS? I can never remember) and I had a nostalgia moment.

I had a sudden wish to be eight years old, eagerly anticipating Christmas morning where I could open my presents and play with my new toys and forget about real life (which would've consisted of brother issues, friend issues and homework, I suppose) for a whole day. Eagerly anticipating candlelight services at my church the night before. Eagerly anticipating the warning of snow and our fireplace all lit up and cozy and me taking dictation while my dad narrated a holiday greetings letter to my cousins in New Jersey - our tradition for a few years there. Eagerly anticipating the trek to my grandmother's house to watch her make homemade rolls and watch everyone gorge on dinner and pumpkin pie.

At times like these, I realize the value of family, and I start to crave one of my own. I start to think that maybe I should be within three hours driving distance of my parents (but no closer than three hours!). I wish I'd gone home for Thanksgiving.

Then I change the channel and watch a disgruntled doctor barking orders at his peons, and all is right with my world again.

No comments:

Post a Comment