Thursday, July 26, 2007

Thank you, Netflix, for reducing my monthly payments.

Tonight I watched The Last Picture Show. This movie has been recommended by many people over many years, but I held off for whatever reason - it's an older movie; it has Cybill Shepherd who I generally can't stand; Lost seasons 1 & 2 seemed much more important... you get the point.

This was one of the best black & white sleeper movies from the 1970s that I have ever seen. (It's also possibly the only black & white sleeper movie from the 1970s that I've ever seen.) Cybill was bitchy as all get out, and I actually loved it, mainly because I felt like the boy characters were spineless direction-less yahoos who needed to grow the hell up already. I also loved Cloris Leachman's character, and all the older-than-high-school women in general, they brought such an attitude and a heartwarming spin to the film.

So in summary: thumbs up, if you're a lady. Men should rent the Deer Hunter or Apocalypse Now instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment