Saturday, July 14, 2007

One of these things just doesn't belong.

Had the pictures turned out, you would be looking at the tips of four fingers on my left hand, three of which are normal looking and one of which is smashed beyond all belief. The pictures I tried to take don't do the lovely shade of purple and the swelling justice so I won't bother posting them. Suffice to say, when my index finger hits the keyboard it feels like a big numb mushball. (What imagery! I should be a poet.)

But it was worth it. I helped a friend frame a smallish wood shed this afternoon. Well, actually I did the framing while he worked on the finished doors - fine by me, because you can mess up in framing and it's all good. You mess up on the finish? All BAD.

So I was entrusted with plans, a circular saw, a pile of 2x4s, and of course hammer and nails. In total it took about 3 hours to complete the foundation base frame and back wall frame, because I measured-eight-cut-once on almost every cut (when I helped with his deck I screwed up a few cuts on expensive wood, never again would I let that happen). Oh and also, as I mentioned I smashed my index finger - but I didn't mention that it was on the second freaking nail 30 minutes into the day - so that slowed the progress a bit.

But once I got going it was all downhill, and tomorrow afternoon I will go back and finish the framing and live vicariously through his homeownership. And work out the stress that has built up over the past week. And maybe next week someone else will have a home improvement project I can help with to relieve some stress.

Bonus points if it's a demo project. I LOVE demo.

No comments:

Post a Comment