Sunday, October 02, 2011

This weekend's infotainment inspired by Joss Whedon.

To honor the winners of the song title-off, I saw Fright Night this afternoon.

(Yeah, that work stuff? Ain't. Gettin'. Done. It's sacred Sunday, for Pete's sake! More realistically, vamps and beer were calling! I'll just go in early tomorrow. Whatevs.)

But first.

Yesterday I saw Tucker and Dale Vs Evil, which I was mostly interested in because it was showing at my local nonprofit theater that I love to support no matter what, and also because it featured my favorite comedic wingman, Alan Tudyk. You may recall him from such roles as Wash in Firefly/Serenity and Steve the Pirate from Dodgeball, and a bunch of other stuff (holy cow - HE was Alpha in Dollhouse? did I know that? I need to watch that whole series all over again immediately). TADVE was campy and awkward and uber-bloody and ridiculous... and I loved, loved, loved it. I think the last time I laughed out loud so much at a campy horror movie was during Sin City. Or maybe Grindhouse. Where is that Quentin Tarantino these days? Anyway, it's been a while since a movie caused me to literally LOL. (I have been following the "literally" warfare, and I can assure you that this use is legit.)

But back to the topic at hand. I watched the original Fright Night at a sleepover a bazillion years ago and loved it, and I was very excited to see that Marti Noxon had a hand in the 2011 version of the remake. It had been at a pricey theater for a few weeks (in 3D no less - WHY??), so when I saw it on the marquee at the local $3 pizza pint picture place, I planned my entire Sunday around that 4:30 showing.

Welcome to my life these days.

Sadly... it was "eh." It flowed okay. The vamp CGI (especially of them dying) was kind of interesting. The main kid, Toni Collette, Colin Farrell, and that guy from Doctor Who (who I would know if I ever watched Doctor Who) did a good job, and Lisa Loeb was in it (although I have no idea which character she played). There were a few lines where I recognized sarcastic intent.

But overall I have to say that I expected much more from Ms. Noxon.

Hello, you have reached my own private Whedonesque world. We charge a hefty price here. Hope you can afford the critique.

No comments:

Post a Comment