Thursday, February 14, 2008

No pun intended, but...

... there's a cat at the volunteer place who's been there for almost 5 months. (The longest I've seen any other cat in the adoption area was 3 months, I think.) Allegedly, she is somewhat docile in her cage but turns feral when you try to pick her up, so she hardly ever gets socialized, which means that she will have a very difficult time finding a home. (The notes on the clipboard on her cage are not encouraging to adoptees either - "experienced cat people only," etc.)

She is now my pet project. I spent a bit of time with her this evening while she was "behind bars," and not once did she emanate any feral tendencies. So after we played through the bars for a while, I told her that I would make it my job over the next two months to get her out and about, even if it means some scratches and bites along the way. If she stays in the cage she will never be adoptable...

It doesn't hurt her case that she shares the same name as Her Majesty. It also doesn't hurt that I seem to have cat pheromones in my blood. No kidding - I have never met a cat who wasn't 100% comfortable around me. (OK, well except that one cat the other week who seemed to be high on meth amphetamines and no one could go near her, but otherwise...)

Normal people might be alarmed at the prospect of attracting cats everywhere they go. But hey, they're furry and warm, and they're all about unconditional love. And especially on a day like today, you takes what you gets.

Enjoy your warm (with or without fur) S.O.s today. Her Maj and I will do the same.

________________

Let the record show that I will never, ever adopt a kitten again. Not only are there too many sweet older cats who wait and wait for adoption who - GASP AND SWOON - actually GET ALONG with other cats (ahem, Her Majesty, yes they exist) - but a mere five minutes in a room with one tonight reminded me that kittens are too damn much work.

OK, end of CCL post for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment