Sunday, August 27, 2006

Musicpalooza.

There's now a DVD that recounts some of the more famous performances in the history of Coachella. Since I am officially proclaiming myself "too old" to attend a festival like that (3 days sleeping in a tent then standing and sweating in the dirt amongst thousands of young hippie types all day), I got to live vicariously for an hour and a half. Three observations:

  1. Must download everything by this band.
  2. These guys might be surprisingly good live.
  3. (Found while poking around after seeing a brilliant performance on this DVD) So this is why they're so hard to see live.
Otherwise, unless you want to see the Pixies reunited, or Morrisey being... well, Morrisey, or you're curious about The Polyphonic Spree, I recommend skipping the DVD and attending the show instead.

I also finally got around to renting this, which chronicles the work of Spike Jonze's musical adventures. Three revelations:
  1. Spike went backward before going backward was cool.
  2. Chris Walken can dance! But you probably already knew that.
  3. Oh, HE'S the one that did that genius Fatboy Slim video. I'd forgotten all about that.
There's also a fascinating documentary about rodeo boys in Amarillo, which I found much more succinct and engaging than this documentary about country boys.

(Oh and also, I still. Still. STILL. love Adam Horovitz.)

No comments:

Post a Comment