Sunday, August 16, 2009

Seattle daycation.

I didn't spend much time there. I spent more time in the car than in the city, in fact. My primary goal was the Jim Henson exhibit at the Experience Music Project, and I'm glad I saw it. Lots of old storyboards of Muppets/Sesame Street skits I first saw on TV thirty years ago, and original drawings/origins of some of my favorite characters.

Other than that, I spent enough time to get the obligatory Space Needle shot...


I stopped by the space-themed 826 Seattle where I found the most amazing book about happiness written by middle- and high-school kids. Why is it amazing, you ask? Partly because before each entry is a self-written intro to the artist. Henri, for example, loves to "draw cheese-square-chubb-chubb looking things," and Eliot likes "pie and boom" (as in, things exploding). The restly because those kids know happy.

I was looking for Capitol Hill, got lost and stumbled upon Easy Street Records where I saw that Shins free concert two years ago. After an hour I'd purchased a gajillion used albums including stuff I wanted (Halo Benders, previously unattained Elliot Smith and Rilo Kiley, etc) as well as the soundtrack from season one of Sifl & Olly. (Oh, Chester...)

I had dinner with someone I've been friends with for 20 (!) years and his lovely fiance, and after dinner we stopped at a nice viewpoint in their neighborhood where you can see the funky EMP amidst all the high-rises and the Space Needle...


And then the sun started to set...


And then it was 8:15pm and I had a 3-hour drive ahead of me so I headed out. But I exited I-5 and turned around to get a shot of this:

I had no idea they named themselves after a street. The name is suddenly not interesting anymore... therefore, neither is the band... and that kinda makes me sad. Or a music snob. Or just an idiot.

I'm not sure which.

No comments:

Post a Comment