Sunday, April 26, 2009

I guess you could say I demanded it.

Before today I never took advantage of Netflix's "play" option, for a few reasons. Mostly because until about a month ago my computer desk chair was ridiculously uncomfortable (on purpose - didn't want to spend much time here). Also, I thought perhaps it cost more (it doesn't). Also because, much like my recent reversion to the actual CD instead of the digital album, I prefer to review the "cover," physically place it in the DVD player and go from there.

But today I had some ironing and no Netflix movies in hand. So I called up Conversations with Other Women and got introduced to this "play" concept.

It was rather reminiscent of the Before Sunrise/After Sunset films with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. If it had been cast with Catherine Zeta Jones, I would've used the 20-minute-me-no-likie rule and turned it off. But Helena brought a completely different depth to it. And of course I highly regard Aaron Eckhart's work, and in his whiny, 20-year-old-boy character I found something very familiar. (David, circa 2001?)

It was short. Got 90 minutes or so to spare while ironing, or need a filler between sending stuff back, I recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. I *love* their Instant Play option! I caught up on the first 2 1/2 seasons of Heroes that way. I wish they'd offer more movies and t.v. shows this way. But then I guess they'd lose money...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh... Heroes is available this way, eh? Hrm, I do need a new fix...

    Yeah, I see it as a way to keep people paying for the regular service, not a money gainer. I was surprised to learn I wouldn't have to pay extra, and then noticed that most of my queued movies are not available via Instant Play.

    It would be better for the environment if they went all digital. Whatever are they going to do with all those copies of Doubt that they have sitting around now that the Oscars are over...? (I pretend they have rewrite ability on their own DVDs and that gets me through the guilt.)

    BUT, I do love that "pick up the DVD and look at the cover" feeling. Mostly because I can never remember what the hell I queued and why I thought it would be a good use of my time. (See above guilt rationalization.)

    AND, BUT, I can't watch my computer screen from my couch and oh hells no I'm not trying to figure out how to hook up my TV/computer with my whopping 8 electrical outlets and shoddy cable connection in my current apartment. I'm lucky to be posting this reply.

    So anyway, hooray to Netflix for appealing to the old and new schoolers. :)

    ReplyDelete