Monday, February 12, 2007

Still no sign of book, so more movies.

I like to kid myself that if I were to retire, or marry rich, I could easily fill the days without needing to work. This past week has proven this to be 100% untrue, as almost every day I have checked work email obsessively and also needed to do something structured with my day even when sleeping until 10am and going to bed at 9pm.

I received a gift card to AMC Theaters for Christmas, so I figured I could check out another Oscar nominee for free. The only films playing at the local AMC that fit my "schedule" (loose though it was) were The Departed and Children of Men. The latter is playing at the Parkway this week and I'd already decided to catch it Tuesday night, so I used my free pass on The Departed.

It's not a movie I would normally see. I hadn't even really planned on Netflixing it, to be totally honest. I grew weary of gangster/mafia/undercover cop flicks back in college and haven't really seen one since. But a film with Schmidt, Good Will, the Aviator, the only Baldwin who can actually act, Markie Mark, Charlie's dad - and directed by Martin - I was slightly optimistic.

Holy cow. That's the extent of my review: HOLY COW. I had no idea what was going on for most of the film, and then at the end I REALLY had no idea what was going on. (It should be noted that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to figuring out confusing plot lines.) But what the fuck EVER about the plot. I think I have a new favorite actor, and his name is Leo. I think that perhaps I have finally forgiven him for Titanic. Holy cow.

Markie Mark was awesome too, and the other actors put on a great show. Eventually I got the gist of the plot, which I guess is all that really matters, and I left nice and entertained... And questioning my previous statement about Forest taking the Best Actor Oscar. Just a little bit. I still think he'll win, but Leo is an excellent contender.

Off to put all his movies in my queue immediately. Except Titanic. May I live a long, prosperous life having never seen that dreadful endeavor that has sucked millions of hours from the lives of young teenage girls and wistful housewives.

No comments:

Post a Comment