Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Ofelia, you're breaking my heart.

I held off on Pan's Labyrinth. It didn't really appeal to me. But Children of Men, which was in the cards for today, wasn't playing until 9:45 pm and... well, I'm too lame to stay up that late for a movie. So I went to a matinee of the aforementioned instead, mostly on the recommendation of someone who shall remain nameless.

I was expecting more of a fairy tale Brothers Grimm-stylie, with suspense and freaky characters and dark foreshadowing. And there was that. But holy bloody hell, I was not expecting all the point-blank gunshots to the head, torture, blood, utter disregard for human life... which far outweighed the fairy tale portions.

Sorry if I've ruined it for you. It was a beautiful film, don't get me wrong. (By beautiful, I mean gut-wrenching, engaging and amazingly acted.) And I get the messages the film was conveying, for the most part. But it was very, very violent. Very. Coming from a person who adores Fight Club, this is a significant statement, and the fact that I'm detoxing by watching a rerun of Growing Pains should emphasize that point.

After all that violence, it's no wonder I was so rude when I returned the call of a coworker who had an "urgent" question for me on my day off.

Oh, wait, maybe it's just because he called me on my day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment