Tuesday, February 06, 2007

File under: recently viewed.

This Film Is Not Yet Rated. The interviews and history behind the MPAA are interesting. That said, perhaps I'm getting conservative in my old age, but I think hiring private detectives to hunt down and publicly expose the people on the MPAA board took things a little too far. I understand the need to explain that no one on the board is a film student or artist so what gives them the right to judge a film ... I get that half the board has kids over 17 when the purpose of said board is to rate movies that their "kids under 17" might watch ... and I appreciate the critique of the ratings appeals board having two conservative clergy (not to mention the movie conglomerate execs) who vote on appeals ... but do I really need to know exactly who those people are? I don't think so. The Corporation, for example, was successful in getting its message across without publicly crucifying any specific person that the audience didn't already know was a capitalist pig.

Haven. Orly fans might enjoy this one. The non-linear sequencing seemed unnecessary to me.

The Lake House. SHUT UP. I KNOW. It ... wasn't ... that ... terribly ... dreadful. I actually watched it while doing a ridiculous amount of copying/pasting for a work project last weekend, so I didn't have to pay too close attention to the movie or the document. That was what you might call a "win-win," if you were to say such a thing, which I hope you never do.

Hustle & Flow. I can't say I didn't like this. Terrence Howard was very, very good, but... I watched part of the bonus material and the director made a big deal about how he wanted to make this character different from your run-of-the-mill pimp. The only differences I really saw, were that the main character was more of a chauffeur than a pimp, and he didn't wear shiny suits and gold chains (for the most part). Otherwise, between the verbal abuse, the physical abuse, and the jail time he seemed like your run-of-the-mill pimp to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment