Sunday, June 04, 2006

Got it, Al... now can you please explain global warming to my cat?

It has been BLOODY HOT in my apartment the last few days. BLOODY HOT. So I've been avoiding it as much as possible. Adding to that is my new Sunday afternoon tradition of going to a movie (two weeks in a row makes it a tradition right?). Since I run on Sunday mornings, usually by about noon I've had enough of Mr. Sun and I like to hide out in dark, cool places.

Her Majesty, as you know, does not have that luxury. And so she loafs. And stretches out on the bathroom or kitchen tile to stay cool. And whines. A LOT.

Today, because I've apparently just been too happy lately, I decided to see An Inconvenient Truth. To my surprise, I left the theater in a good mood. The film itself was interesting, there were lots of pretty graphs (and we all know how much to trust pretty graphs! - kidding, he seems to have been doing his research these last 25 years), lots of pictures of melting ice caps, some humor and just enough of a peek into Gore's life in an attempt to convince us of his conviction (but not enough so that it was personal). It worked for me.

I did leave wondering what else I personally could be doing... I mean, I recycle everything I can possibly recycle (except food scraps, unfortunately my neighborhood isn't there yet). I take the bus to work, I drive my fuel-efficient car no more than 10-15 miles a week on average, I support worthy environmental organizations, I have living breathing plants on my balcony. Right now I can't do much about energy-efficient appliances, other than use the energy-efficient washer/dryer in my building (which I do) versus going to the cheap laundromat up the street.

And then it hit me - I could be working for an environmental organization that supports animals! It could possibly give me the animal interaction I seem to crave without the biochemistry requirement. And I would be contributing to the future. Hmm. There really might be something there...

Thanks Al! Sorry you "lost"!

1 comment:

  1. If you hooked up with some fine fellow who also has his own car, and moved in together, you could probably get rid of one car. If that's not reason to couple up I don't know what is. Apparently single unmarried women account for 77% of the lost Greenland ice shelf.

    ReplyDelete