Sunday, July 01, 2012

Whiskey is fine. Something else, not so fine.

Currently on day 7 of this adventure.  I can't believe how fine I've felt.  It's been a bit disorienting, actually, waking up in the morning really ready to face the day.  I'm trying not to be sad with all the time I've lost feeling crappy.

I've confirmed that whiskey is fine (hooray!), and trace amounts of iodized salt in peanut butter and Earth Balance butter are fine (double hooray!  or the other hooray around).  In the last few days PIC and I have spent lots of time in grocery stores reading labels.  It's both informational and time-consuming, and has led to several results that have made me very happy:

  • actual rice cakes (that have no wheat or potato) and peanut butter as dinner on Friday
  • Mary's Gone Crackers crackers that I can eat with whole milk cheese 
  • quinoa pasta that was awesome with some leftover pesto
  • and lots of obvious choices of fresh fruits, veggies, and whole milk dairy products
And several results that have made me sad:
  • "natural flavors" are in EV. ERY. THING - do you know how hard it is to avoid "natural flavors"?  what the hell is a "natural flavor" anyway?
  • yeast (that I should not consume) is in Bundaberg Ginger Beer, our staple in New Zealand that I was so excited to recently find in Portland
  • and in general, I can't believe all the processed crap that's in the food I once ate
PIC and I have also spent lots of time reading recipes, and carefully following them, or carefully modifying them to not include wheat and potato, and up until today I have felt amazing.  So that's all good.


But today was the first day I felt crappy.  Really, utterly, like-before crappy.

I'm really not sure of the cause - we had very-me-friendly huevos rancheros (with allegedly me-friendly corn tortillas that I had with no problem yesterday) this morning, then yogurt/fruit/(allegedly) gluten-potato-free-granola for lunch, then greens and black eyed peas and bacon for dinner, with some me-friendly crackers and cheese in between.

But sometime between morning and lunch I started feeling crappy.  Perhaps it was something in the salsa with breakfast?  It seemed OK, other than the iodized salt and possible trace amounts of "natural flavors".  And then for some time after lunch I felt really crappy too.  Perhaps the granola wasn't as me-friendly as it claimed to be? 

I really don't know the cause.  I do know that after about 6 hours and a dinner of greens, black eyed peas and bacon, I feel much better.  I guess I'll just have to try the salsa and granola in silos and see what happens.

This is going to be a lot of work.  Mentally, physically and emotionally.  But after a week of feeling good, I'm up for it...  Thank goodness it's a short week.

No comments:

Post a Comment