Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Weekend at the coast - check.

The kayak trip was canceled (OMG I KNOW RIGHT, AGAIN?! or maybe that was just MY reaction) but since I'd booked a room and got the email message 12 hours before the trip and couldn't cancel the motel without financial penalty, I decided to make the most of the weekend at the coast.

Saturday morning I loaded up on carbs and caffeine at Kettleman's and headed out early to try to find some waterfalls around Wilson River.

it's a trap!

For the record, this is apparently the Bermuda Triangle of hiking trails. After wandering unsuccessfully for about three miles, I got really frustrated and headed back toward the parking lot. On my way I came upon someone squatting on the trail. (And by "on the trail" I mean ON THE TRAIL. Really? You're surrounded by trees and THIS is where you choose to squat?) That made me dislike this hike and area even more. So I headed to Kings Mountain.

Kings Mountain, if you don't know, is a training hike for the summit to Mt. Hood. I did not know this when embarking on the hike. I just knew it was "difficult" and there was a 2700 foot elevation gain in just 2.5 miles... which, in hindsight, probably really should've been a big clue. It ended up being one of the most challenging day hikes I've done in Oregon - possibly harder than South Sister (but definitely not harder than Misery Ridge).

It's been four days and my legs are still a little sore. That's how hard the hike was. It was worth it, though... the views were stunning despite the slightly overcast skies.

imagine the views on a clear day!

After the hike I checked into the cheap motel, settled in and cleaned up. Research showed that Munson Falls was nearby and only a .25 mile hike, which sounded right up my alley.

worth the short drive and even shorter walk

Next, I drove the Three Capes loop near Tillamook and made a few stops.

the aptly named Octopus Tree

After a well-earned fish 'n chips dinner and beer at a local dive, I headed back to the motel but got sidetracked by the moon.

I've got your full moon kayak trip right heah

Free cable entailed a Hoarders marathon on TLC, which I absolutely do not recommend under any circumstances. But eventually I found a Scrubs marathon and got to bed in more pleasant spirits, and Sunday morning I got to the Oregon Coast Aquarium right as it opened in an attempt to avoid the kiddies. I spent two hours enjoying the bizarre crabs, sea horses, fish and oh-so-AHDORAHBLE sea otters. The aquarium was surprisingly well done and I'd recommend it to anyone heading out to the Newport area.

{heart}

And then north toward home... but not quite ready to head home. Between the World's Smallest Harbor and the World's Shortest River, I found Drift Creek Falls. A short hike leads you to a really great visitor center and a really long suspension bridge, which ends at a really great waterfall.

"world's smallest" entry #1


Drift Creek Falls suspension bridge and falls

"world's smallest" entry #2

And finally, on the way to a 5-mile hike I happened upon Roads End beach and decided that was a much better use of my time than more leg torture.

Note to self: do not end the weekend lounging on the beach. It will wreak havoc on your mental perspective and make you especially cranky at work the following week.

No comments:

Post a Comment