Monday, June 18, 2007

Bloody hell, indeed.

I really need to re-examine my Netflix queue.

Friday night I popped in Blood Diamond, thinking it would be a good film because of all the Oscar hype and political content and... well, okay, and because of Leo. Bad South African accent or not, that man is FINE.

About an hour into it, I had to turn it off. I just wasn't up for such an incredibly depressing commentary on our capitalist society, that we don't even care that people are dying just so that Susie can get her 3 carat rock from Johnny. And I decided Friday night that if I ever get engaged, I will follow the lead from some gal I saw on a Food Network Wedding Planning Extravaganza special and insist on a plasma TV instead of an engagement ring.

(Please don't lecture me on the environmental perils of plasma TVs.)

So after that attempt I popped in 13 Tzameti, which was actually an interesting and disgusting commentary on our capitalist society (and also, the lead guy was FINE, in his French way), but I kept falling asleep so I finished it Sunday afternoon. Turns out it was rather bloody but in a subtle way, and the acting and cinematography were stellar. It reminded me a lot of the films that my "history of film" professor made us watch when I took that extracurricular class a couple of years ago, and I think that means it's a good film. Apparently Hollywood is going to remake it which (if history serves) will render the original meaningless and the remake just plain awful. So catch it while you can, but be ready for a downer.

And after I finished with 13 Tzameti, I popped in Saw III, which lasted approximately 10 minutes in my DVD player. I wasn't in the mood for gore, and also - WTF? The original Saw was a great psychological thriller with just a little gore thrown in for effect. Saw II at least featured Donnie Wahlberg, and it was nice to see the former New Kid getting roles better than the freaky naked dude in The Sixth Sense. But the first 10 minutes of Saw III had none of the thrills and all of the gore and damn it all to hell, what's the point of that?

Thank goodness Cars is next in my queue. I need a bloody break.

No comments:

Post a Comment