Sunday, February 19, 2017

The winter of our discontent, Week 4.

Here is this week's weekly wrap-up of "something actives"...

And an aside. The less news I read, and the less I call national senators and representatives who already agree with my protests on larger scale issues, and the more small concrete local actions I take, the less depressed I am. Go figure.

SUNDAY: supported art and local business by attending a screening of the Oscar nominated animated shorts at our local independent movie theater, then eating delicious Thai food at a small independent restaurant. Also (finally) planted garden seeds - no big ag!

growth after just one week!
gardening is cool

MONDAY: finally closed my Chase account, woohoo! Next up is ING. Wondering if your bank is supporting DAPL? The short answer: yes, all the big banks are supporting DAPL. The longer answer: this is the full list. Look. I know it's hard to think about pulling money out of interest-bearing accounts and putting it into credit unions instead. (Well, it's not really hard for me to think about that, given that I see about $50 in interest a year.) But if you must keep your money in big banks, at least donate your interest earned. It's free money that other people need more than you do.

Another aside: I was kind of bummed that the Chase dude didn't ask why I wanted to close my account. It probably had something to do with the paltry amount I was withdrawing, but I still made a point of asking him whether many people were closing accounts these days. He said, rather indifferently, "Nope," and when I mentioned the movement to pull out of big banks in favor of credit unions, he glanced at me and said, "Nope, haven't heard of that." I really couldn't tell if he just didn't give a shit about his job, or if he was advised not to comment on that from the higher-ups.

While I was there I also cancelled my Amazon Visa under Chase. I had to do this over the phone, and when the guy asked me why I was closing my account I was happy to tell him. He didn't care either. Meh.

TUESDAY: attended training for a new temporary job which will aid advocacy efforts for intellectually and developmentally disabled folks in my local community. Very excited to start this project and hear what these folks have to say!

WEDNESDAY: attended local speaker event on the impact of the Trump administration on health care (prognosis: unknown but terrifying). Also sent my monthly donation to the Wyoming-Casper chapter of Planned Parenthood, chosen because it's the only PP in Wyoming and because Wyoming was one of the reddest states during the election.

THURSDAY: volunteered to help with a Women in Politics panel discussion next month...

Final aside: Must. Stop. Volunteering. For. Shit.

FRIDAY: supported more local art - The Vagina Monologues at the local playhouse! Not something I would expect to see in Coos Bay. This town just keeps surprising me.

SATURDAY: assembled buttons for the upcoming Dems fundraiser, then worked on my WWOOF presentation for several hours - no big ag!

I take no credit for the designs -
I was just the manual labor

Onward...

No comments:

Post a Comment