Tuesday, April 08, 2014

100 happy days: week 2.

Continuing the 100 happy days project...

Day 93

Day 93: when we rode bikes around Hoi An's gorgeous, peaceful farmlands all day and ran across this sight.  I have this thing for pigeons on statues and this was a great example of life imitating aht...  Besides, what's not to love about a water buffalo?

Day 92

Day 92: when we rode bikes around Hoi An again (because MAN were all the tourist spots annoying!) and we ran across this neat method of growing cucumbers.  While WWOOFing in Canada we helped a New Zealand farmer make vertical trellises for his cukes - he swore they grew better off the ground.  That was one of our favorite farm stays, and anything that reminds me of those two weeks makes me smile.  (We still keep in regular contact with the family and I've sent him this photo; he's going to give it a try...  And whenever we have our garden I'm going to try it!)

Day 91

Day 91: when Clarence went to Hue.  Buying our Vietnam visas back in August was pretty surreal.  We've been here three weeks and I still have to constantly remind myself that we (all of us, including Clarence) are actually here...  And whenever I do remind myself, I have to smile.

Day 90

Day 90: when we took the hard seat train to Dong Hoi.  Three hours of real insight into normal Vietnamese life, including a really cute little boy in panda pants who kept waving hi to me.

Day 89

Day 89: when our DIY trip to Paradise Cave turned out successful.  I think I am losing patience for these DIYs, just for the moment.  I am tired and just want to either sit in one place and do nothing for a week, or have someone else figure it out for me.  It's temporary but very prominent and frustrating right now.  But!  Had we taken a tour we wouldn't have been able to stop wherever we wanted to take photos of the gorgeous rice paddies with stunning mountain backdrops.

Day 88

Day 88: when we walked 20km down this road and back.  We finally had time to talk about something other than travel plans.  It was really nice.

Day 87

Day 87: when we had a six-seat sleeper car all to ourselves for our 12 hour train ride from Dong Hoi to Hanoi.  Scenery be damned - I spent about seven of those hours writing long-overdue blog posts and organizing pictures.  It's so nice to feel caught up...  (Well, almost.  Still gotta post the suckers.  But the hard work is done!)

No comments:

Post a Comment