Tuesday, April 01, 2014

100 happy days: week 1.

Perhaps you've heard of the 100 Happy Days challenge. It's all the rage right now. Some critics say it won't work, I say whatever makes you pause for a moment of gratitude each day is worth the effort.

I'm travelling right now - "living the dream!" as so many have said - so why am I doing this 100 Happy Days challenge? Well, sometimes life on the road is tiring and sometimes it just sucks. And sometimes it's amazing. I tend to just show the "amazing" on the Facebook page and in the blog, but this is my chance to tell a little bit of the other side and try to find gratitude in that as well.

(I'm also doing this because I need a project that does not involve planning, researching, decision-making, or consultation with others. But I'm only committing to a post a week, and I'm not going to over-think my words here like I normally do. Consider ye warned!)

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to explain the photos, but this is my project and I guess I can do whatever I want. So here we go...

Day 100

Day 100: when I was pretty sure we were not going to make it back from our Dray Nur/Dray Nap DIY trip. Honestly, I am never sure that we will make it back from any of these DIY trips, but we keep giving them a try. This one stressed me out more than usual (since it was a strange, not-so-touristy town) and while I had a good time at the falls, I was so relieved to be headed homeward that I snuck a photo on the bus ride.

Day 99

Day 99: when we found a fairly quiet spot in the very touristy town of Nha Trang and just sat for an hour. Self-explanatory.

Day 98

Day 98: when we found the most amazing spring rolls in the history of amazing spring rolls. I don't want to talk too much about food during this project, but DAMN IF THESE WEREN'T THE BEST DAMN SPRING ROLLS I HAVE EVER HAD.

Day 97

Day 97: when I finally submitted my Canadian National Parks article to four magazines. It will go nowhere, but I did it and that's all that matters right now.

Day 96

Day 96: when we saw this sign during another DIY day trip outside of Quy Nhon. I'm sure it was supposed to be a friendly way to say goodbye, but it was hot as hell that day and we'd brought no food and just a bottle of water, and we weren't sure where to catch the bus back... so it was just kinda funny.

Day 95

Day 95: when we visited the Quy Nhon cemetery. I'm probably the only person I know who seeks cemeteries out during travels. It's just so interesting to see how various cultures choose to honor their dead. Fields of plain white headstones? Boring and somber. Central European headstones with carvings and candles and embedded black and white photos of the deceased? Much better. Moroccan and Vietnamese tombs and cemeteries full of colorful and purposeful grave placement? Now we're talking. These latter ones make me happy and I think that's how cemeteries should be.

Day 94

Day 94: when I had a brief (dumb) argument with the most patient person I have ever met. This photo was taken after we resolved the issue; we sat across from the main Hoi An strip for half an hour calmly resetting our moods and watching the hoards of tourists come and go. I have no idea how he puts up with me. I have no idea why he puts up with me. But he does, and I am very grateful for that...

No comments:

Post a Comment