Friday, May 20, 2011

A haiku dedicated to the life in your years.

buffalo tom: old
average age of crowd: forty
great music: ageless

hey, kids, rock 'n roll, rock on

Last night I got to see a 25-year-old band I loved in college play a tiny show in a fantastic venue. As I hoped, "Taillights Fade" was the second song on the set list. This served to thin the crowd who was just there to see the opening band ("The Heavenly States," a Bay Area band I ended up liking a lot). The rest of us stuck around as Bill, Chris and namesake Tom* alternated between excellent old and new songs. Great show worth every penny of my $17. In a rare turn of events, I was kind of sad that it wasn't more crowded.

Everyone but me was sporting a plaid shirt. It felt like the 90's. Also? The crowd was at least my age or older - at one point Bill said something about how he knew it was getting late and people had to get home to pay their sitters, but he hoped we would stick around for a few more songs.

Anyway. Had a few beers at the show, got about six hours of sleep, put in a hard day's work... and still ran 10 miles this evening.

Hey, Rapture? BRING IT.

________________
* I hate referring to band member names because it's pretty rare that I actually know the band members. But after 25 years there are certain people I feel I know on some level. Bill/Chris/Tom, Ed/Stone/Mike/Jeff, Billy, Trent, Michael/Peter/Mike - these are all friends. Or, at least "friends."

No comments:

Post a Comment