Saturday, April 16, 2011

File under: damn, I'm old.

My attempt at local shopping was thwarted by Record Store Day. I wanted to check out used DVDs at Music Millennium (thank you, Chinook Book 20% off coupon) but between special release vinyls in honor of today and a possibly unrelated Deftones signing, it was a zoo. I bought The Naked and Famous CD (so technically, I did shop local), got the hell out of there and saved my coupon for another day.

But in keeping with today's (this month's?) music theme, I've been streaming Coachella all day. I was trying to find out the history of this festival and ran across this explanation: "Christians have retreats, we have Coachella. A lot less God and a lot more awesome."

Damn skippy. As far as I can tell, it's just a music and arts festival. But it's got worldwide draw. So far today I've watched Interpol, Mumford & Sons, The Swell Season and this little band called Two Door Cinema Club (who I now love), and all the bands seem to be in awe that they are playing this festival. It's been refreshing. Even Cage the Elephant was charming in their own wicked restless way.

You know what's amazing? Seeing these bands live, for free, without having to deal with that heat and fifty billion annoying people. The biggest problem I face is not wondering when/where I'm going to pee, or how to see over that six foot tall guy right in front of me, or what I'm missing on the other stages, or if my eardrums will ever forgive me. My biggest problem, sitting here in my pj's eating Ben & Jerry's, is how much of Arcade Fire do I watch before I switch over to Flogging Molly?

God bless the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment