Saturday, January 08, 2011

Belated Friday five.

Five albums I hope you purchased in 2010, in no particular order:

  • The Black Keys - Brothers. It has a gritty, bluesy, late '60s/early '70s feel to it... in other words, not at all my usual taste. But I really dig it, particularly this one.
  • Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More. If you haven't yet downed the Kool Aid, this might change your mind.
  • Menomena - Mines. For a band whose members allegedly hate each other, and who work individually and send pieces via email to their bandmates to build upon, they are pretty amazing.
  • Rogue Wave - Permalight. I have loved this band ever since a Download Festival a few years ago where the lead singer had back issues, the guitarist had a pirate patch over his eye and the drummer needed a kidney transplant. Check out Stars and Stripes and buy all their albums to support their health care.
  • Kassini - See the New Sun. An old friend's band - focused listening of this EP one morning on the bus resulted in me smiling a lot. Go here and listen to Made for Me, especially if you like The Helio Sequence.
This is not my "best albums of 2010" list by any means. For one thing, I didn't mention Arcade Fire but if you don't have The Suburbs yet, I am not sure we can still be friends. Also, I am still catching up on 2009 (Avett Brothers, where have you been all my life?), and then there's this 2010 list to cull through.

At this rate I expect to have a "best of 2010" list sometime around the end of 2012.

1 comment: