Sunday, July 03, 2005

I've tried and I've tried, and I'm still mystified.

One thing I've wanted to do since moving here, was go to the Mystery Spot. I figured it would be cheesy and touristy, but I kept seeing those bumper stickers and wondering what it was all about... so my brother and I decided to go while we were in Santa Cruz. (Well, technically I decided. He was just along for the ride.)

Three outstanding mysteries about the Mystery Spot:

  • The tour guide began the tour by stating that they were able to understand about 80% of the Mystery Spot, but they couldn't figure out the other 10%... What about the last 10%? It's a mystery!
  • You get a free Mystery Spot bumper sticker after you complete the tour... Why, in Santa Cruz, California of all places, did someone feel the need to put their bumper sticker over my sorryeverybody.com bumper sticker?* It's a mystery!
  • We spent $8 each to visit this site... Was it worth $16? It's a mystery!
It was cheesy and touristy at times, but not overly so. And while it was interesting, I didn't really understand a lot of it - partly because it was hard to discern optical illusions from the "true" mystery, and partly because I don't remember one single thing from my 11th grade physics class. But I got to be taller than my brother several times throughout the tour... and that made it all worthwhile.

________________
* Fortunately they just slapped it on, and it peeled off without any trouble. My brother (the Republican) got a big kick out of that though.

No comments:

Post a Comment