Saturday, February 09, 2013

Soup, week six: continuing the carrot theme.

With the newfound discovery of lime butter, I decided to go simple and healthy with this week's soup.  That way, when I lopped a big blob of lime butter on the quinoa corn muffins accompanying  the soup, I wouldn't feel so guilty.

So I found this recipe.  It was simple and healthy and delicious.  We had leftovers for lunch most of the week and we were happy to eat them.  My only regrets were not thinking ahead to thaw out our homemade vegetable stock, and running out of cumin during the soup-making (it could've used more cumin).

not as boring as it looks

As an aside, faithful readers may know that we've been making homemade peanut butter, almond milk and almond butter, blue cheese and goddess salad dressing, and various other staples for a while now (in addition to all the other generally healthy recipes we've found that avoid potatoes and wheat). 

So I'm amazed that it took us this long to start making our own vegetable stock.  Pre-food intolerance, I always resisted it because $2.50 seemed a bit excessive for what seemed to be salty brown water.  Post-food intolerance, I couldn't find one without a list of ingredients I was supposed to avoid.  Homemade, it's a great pre-compost reuse and I'm really amazed at what a difference it makes for flavor. 

It also makes your house smell AMAZING.

There are many recipes out there but our approach has simply been to toss carrot and celery ends, onion peels, mushroom stems and any other non-cabbage-like vegetable leftovers into a freezer bag until we have several cups' worth, and then boil them with some salt, pepper and a bay leaf for a few hours.  Strain, freeze, and there you have it...  Just don't forget to thaw it the day before you need it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment