Sunday, January 06, 2013

Got to be a loner, we just do what we please.

Yesterday we had the pleasure of attending the local School of Rock's Beatles show, where tiny-to-high-school-aged children named Wednesday and T-Rex and Susiannamarie (Iann for short)* played songs about sex and drugs for two hours.

you are the youngest person in the theater
goo goo g'joob

It was wonderful.  Please support your local School of Rock. 

In related news, the hardest thing about this whole no-negativity missive is going to be dealing with people.  Specifically, Portland people.  Portlanders are, as a rule, fiercely independent.  We bike**, we hike, we run, we craft, we bake, we blog, we read.  (We read a lot, in fact.)

These are not team sports.  Sure, there are hiking groups and book clubs and knitting circles, but for the most part we are on our own.  And while we have the Blazers (yawn), the Timbers (passing fad), and the Winterhawks (for die hard hockey fans only), we don't spend a lot of time on team sports.  Therefore, we tend not to be team players.

This is my theory, anyway.***

Like the woman who stood behind us for 10 minutes yesterday, chatting loudly with her friend/on her phone and then moving to stand directly in front of us, blocking our up-until-then perfect view of the stage.  I could not help my body language when she turned around (it essentially said, "hey lady, WTF?") and she snapped, "her son is singing lead on the next song."

(Reaction #1: Well, you should've thought about that three hours ago and gotten a nice spot down front.  Reaction #2, which I wish would've come before my physical reaction: Oh, hey that's cool, whatever.  Luckily she and her friend went downstairs for photographic evidence of her son's 15 minutes of fame, and the rest of the show was totally enjoyable.)

And like me, and like my partner in crime, both of whom spent the entire day today actively avoiding people.

I really need to work on this.

Ob-la-di ob-la-da...

________________
* not their real names... but essentially their real names
** and by "we" I mean "not me"
*** and by "my" I mean I stole it from someone

No comments:

Post a Comment