Sunday, July 31, 2011

Belated Friday five.

On our last day in Alaska, we had wi-fi access and after checking his various internet sites, the (several years younger) Aussie announced that Amy Winehouse had died. I expressed the proper sadness, and then I told my story of being in South America and learning that Corey Haim had died. The Aussie had no idea who Corey Haim was.

Damn, I'm old.

Being the Lisa Simpson that I am, I had Corey fever as a tween/teen - taping every photo of both of them to my wall, watching every movie they put out (even the eventual crappy ones), scouring the magazines for info. I never properly mourned this loss, so I'd like to mention my top five Corey Haim moments and tip a glass to him. Say what you will but life was not easy for him, and I really do hope he's resting peacefully. And Amy too.

  • The Two Coreys - a train wreck to watch, but I am probably one of the 100 people that watched it religiously.
  • Silver Bullet - my intro into the world of werewolves, which (with a little help from Steven King early on and Joss Whedon cementing it later) would subsequently lead to my obsession with vampires and other mystical creatures.
  • Dream a Little Dream - a beautifully underrated movie featuring Piper Laurie, Jason Robards, Harry Dean Stanton and a line I often quote ("it's a party! WHO'S GOT THE CHIPS?").
  • Lucas - if you didn't cry at some point during this movie, you have no heart and I don't want to know you.
  • The Lost Boys - if I were stranded on a desert island I would want this movie with me, that's how much I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment