Wednesday, December 15, 2010

These precious things.

I finally got around to watching Precious last night. It was heart-wrenching, brilliantly acted (Mariah! who knew!) and inspiring. Parts of it were incredibly difficult to watch, to the point where I hid my eyes during a few scenes. I felt terrible afterward for complaining about my job, my life, my... well, my anything.

I think a dream I had was partially inspired by that film. She is completely unprepared to be a mother, but does a phenomenal job in spite of the odds. In this dream I was on a rescue expedition in the Antarctic. We would go out to the islands to collect injured penguins, return them to the (rather fancy) expedition ship, cuddle them and shower them with healing and love, and send them back to their respective colonies once they'd recovered. One of them had been shot (I never quite figured that one out); most just had mild flesh wounds from sea lion or elephant seal encounters.

I woke up smiling. And between paper pushing and mind-numbing meetings, I thought about those cute little penguins and how good I felt about helping them.

I think this means that it's time to seriously start looking into veterinary school.

No comments:

Post a Comment