Sunday, September 13, 2009

And that's a wrap.

Today consisted of me waking up around 12:30am (yay, insomnia!), watching Roseanne reruns until about 4am, taking a slight nap until 8am, and watching crap on TV. (Um - Toni Collette doesn't count as crap, right - even if she is paired with Cameron Diaz? Right? Shirley Maclaine was there too! But I won't even mention what was visually consumed after that.)

Wait, here's where it gets good.

I decided to see Dead Snow at the Hollywood Theater because... well, because it's a Norwegian movie about Nazi zombies, and that sounded like awesome redemption for my morning o'Lifetime. The movie started slow, but just when I was about to agree with the Rotten Tomato haters it kicked into full gear, mocking and/or referencing every zombie movie ever made, matching Shaun of the Dead's pop culture references and the Evil Dead series' consumption of fake blood.

After the movie I turned my phone back on to find that a friend texted me the following message: "Did I mention wiener dog races @ Grant Park today @ 5pm?" Never mind that my cell phone ate my other friend's message (who I was meeting later) and phone number (which precluded me from calling her back with the meet-up plan). Sure, I'd have to go home before the big show tonight to log in to various web-based services and find her number, but Grant Park was on the way between the Hollywood Theater and my place, and more importantly, THE HELL if I was going to miss a wiener dog race. I mean, come on.

I laughed. A lot. And that was just during the warm up races. I had to leave after the first race but I am soooooo keeping an eye out, and planning accordingly, if this happens again next year.

And then my other friend called again, thereby precluding my need to stop at home, and I met up with her at the Newmark for the Patton Oswalt show, and yes he mocked religion and politics and KFC's latest creations and himself and an unfortunate hipster seated in the front row, and my cheeks and abs still hurt from all the laughing. How can such hilarity just roll off his tongue like butter? (Um, OK, probably a bad analogy but still... funny.)

And now, a final glass of funny before tomorrow starts Day One of Operation Focus. OF will likely require many days, days which do not involve alcohol or spending money or various other deadly sins/debaucheries. I'm so serious about OF (and about OF taking a long time) that I've even stockpiled a bunch of advance-purchase birthday gifts... sorry if your present is no longer relevant by the time your birthday rolls around.

So yeah, I'm about to get pretty boring for a little while. Go read a book until further notice.

1 comment:

  1. Um... might be postponing OF until October 1. It just makes more sense. You'll see why.

    ReplyDelete