Thursday, February 10, 2011

At least now I know what I'm doing Sunday night.

"Ehrlich and Neil Portnow, president of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, have been working to secure Dylan’s booking for months."

Because he has better things to do? Please. All due respect to (possibly) the world's greatest folk singer, but if his mumbling unenthusiastic incoherent performance on tour last year is any indication, up-and-comers (and my current personal faves) The Avett Brothers and Mumford & Sons are going to completely outshine him. And if he's as wise as we think he is, he knows this - hence the hesitation to accept the booking.

I (possibly) concede that these two bands would not exist, or (more possibly) would not exist as they do today, without the pioneer groundbreaking work of Mr. Zimmerman. Among many others. This does not mean that he should accompany them onstage. I would hate for people to walk away asking "what the hell was that old guy singing?" instead of "when can I see those amazing bands again, and can it come faster, please?"

Then again, the former would lead to a higher possibility of me scoring tickets to their upcoming shows. The latter would not.

On second thought - give Dylan the stage! The entire stage!

No comments:

Post a Comment