Thursday, January 14, 2010

IMMDs.

Customer at the post office: "How much will it cost to mail this letter overnight to New Jersey?"
Clerk: "Overnight is $15.95, it will get there by 3pm tomorrow."
Customer: "...Wha?? This letter? For $20 I can get on a bus and deliver it by midnight myself!"

Me: "Hi, I'd like to do an international wire transfer."
{Much ado about how they are not set up to do that, but in fact they are - I confirmed it three times with three different people before setting out as it would be a trek to this particular branch - training manual is extracted from the depths of the cabinet and dusted off - clerk #1 heaves a big sigh, saying "why me?!"}
Clerk #2: "They're sending spies in to test us, [Clerk #1]."

Laughter ensued with both exchanges. A nice change of pace from the grumpiness usually ensuing in such situations (especially such situations which occur at the post office). And even though I was at post office #2 dealing with clerk # 5 who was insisting they couldn't do this, and even though it turned out I had to go back again today and drag Clerk #1 away from her back-office break, and even though I'm still not convinced that the transaction went through... Both scenes yesterday kind of made my day.

1 comment:

  1. The transaction eventually and finally went through. In case anyone was keeping tabs. :)

    Should you ever find yourself in this position, ask the USPS what banks they participate with - that seems to be the key...

    ReplyDelete